Please be advised, the following plan is subject to change. This plan is preliminary and only reflects major steps. During the year, we can face unexpected challenges or do a pivot to a more optimal direction. Minor releases, maintenance, experimental and not yet announced projects are not reflected below.
• Scalability through Orbita sidechains • IoT and Machine-to-Machine protocol • Help 3rd party developers to build apps on top of ETC with Emerald
• Better security and encryption • Interoperability with other blockchains • Decentralized Web
Goals by year
• Remove Difficulty Bomb • Emerald Wallet for Mobile • Release Emerald SDK • Orbita Sidechains • Enable new opcodes from ETH (compatibility) • IPFS integration • SputnikVM optimizations and JIT Compilation • New improved statedb layer
• Scalability improvements and multiple Orbita interoperable sidechains (towards to 1,000+ tx/sec) • Light client for IoT and Mobile • Interoperability with other blockchains • Improve cryptography on EVM (for zero knowledge proof, homomorphic encryption, etc)
• Hybrid consensus research • Mesh networks
Plans & expected major milestones for 2018
Emerald Wallet release
Generally available release of Emerald Wallet, expected at May/June
Remote Difficulty Bomb
Planned at block 5,900,000 expected at 26 May 2018
Orbita Sidechain Prototype
It's long project and will consist of multiple phases, but first Proof-of-Concept demo is expected in May/June.
Currently SputnikVM is an optional EVM, we're going to make it a default EVM in Geth.
Enable ETH opcodes
ETH has introduced few new opcodes to EVM (EIP-140, EIP-214, EIP-211). All these opcodes are implemented in SputnikVM already, but need to be enabled in mainnet. It's a hard fork protocol upgrade.
Refactor and reimplement StateDB with a modular and scalable architecture.
IPFS support in Emerald
The current roadmap represents our vision and the order of major releases/milestones ETCDEV is going to make during the year 2018. Unfortunately it's hard to predict the exact dates for most of the parts, but when possible we've added them into the description. This roadmap is supposed to help understand ETCDEV's direction and current focus, but it should be noted that there are many other tasks, such as code maintenance and urgent bug fixes, or experimental projects w/o expected outcome, therefore not included in this roadmap.
A leading Ethereum Classic development company with a strong focus on decentralized computing providing long term support for the ETC blockchain.